Monday, August 10, 2015

I'M GOING TO AFRICA

All my life it has been very obvious that I have gravitated toward children. Not saying I've always been a complete natural with kids, but I have always loved and valued my relationships with the children I've been able to work with. Through the years I have been a babysitter, a preschool teacher, a classroom intern, a nanny, a daycare worker, etc. All these things have shaped my mentality towards children and the value of education. When I was 16 I went on a service trip to Romania where I got to work with fostered children. That incredible experience really showed me how education helps aide children to become happier and more independent. Education is a big part of becoming your best self. This gift of education is something we in America can take for granted. I know I wasn't super jazzed to be going to school as a kid (ok and as an adult) but really having the opportunity to go to school is such an amazing blessing. A blessing that many around the world do not have.

For years I've wanted desperately to go do another service trip. This is obviously something that takes a lot of planning and financial stability, which as a college student isn't really realistic. Regardless of all the limitations, I started researching my options around the month of May. I started praying and fasting for the guidance and ability to make a smart decision. At the time I was mostly thinking that of course I would love to go travel and help people, but just because I can doesn't mean I should. Spending that much money is a big commitment that could be used for other expenses in my life. I kept debating back and forth about what I should do, but through the power of the spirit I was able to find clarity and make a decision.

*drum roll*

Next summer I will be going to Tanzania! I will be going with a program called Cross Cultural Solutions, and I will be there from May 21-July 2. So a total of 6 weeks. I can not even describe to you how overjoyed I am about this opportunity. I will be working with children who live in areas that don't have the resources to provide them with a quality education. Hopefully I will be able to help them learn and grow as a person. I will be there to help teach them but most importantly to help them feel loved. I know that I am supposed to go to Tanzania. I know there are people there who will change my life and who will teach me things I couldn't learn anywhere else. I know Heavenly Father is supporting this decision and will be by my side through it all. This wasn't an easy choice for me to make since it is such a big financial commitment, but I know the blessings that will come from this are far beyond the temporal satisfaction of money. I already love the people of Tanzania, and I haven't even met them. I can't wait to get out there and go to work!

Since I am now in desperate need of all the money I can get, I would like to ask a favor of you fellow friends. Most of you know that I have a photography business (emilyjean-photo.blogspot.com) and that is how I earn a lot of my income. It would be such a dream for me if I was able to increase my business and support myself financially through this experience. So what I am asking is for you guys to promote the heck out of me. Most of my business comes from word of mouth, and that really just leaves me to rely on the people I know. I would love love love it if you guys could refer me to your family and friends or you know, strangers you see on the streets. Give them my web address or my email or my phone number or my Instagram or whatever. I have business cards that I would love to hand out to people who want them or want to share them with people they know. Literally just give my name out to anyone and everyone. I would really appreciate the extra support!

Anyways, I am just so overwhelmed with joy and excitement for this new adventure in my life! I know I'm not leaving until May but I've already got the countdown going on my phone haha. Thanks for those who have helped me make this decision and who have supported me through it all. I love life so dang much right now. I hope you all love life too. It's literally the best.


No comments:

Post a Comment